Increased exposure to pollution and the harsh sun are some of the factors that cause wrinkling and dark spots in women living in both rural and urban environs. While the sun is often blamed for dark and dull skin, pollution and dirt do have a significant impact on your skin. Other factors that cause darker and dull skin include clogged pores from dirt and harsh chemicals from air pollution. Dirt, chemicals from pollution, and exposure to extreme sunlight cause a change in the skin pigmentation as the body attempts to safeguard itself.
Anyone that has been exposed to such factors doesn’t, however, have to live with darker skin. There are plenty of natural home remedies and solutions that do help with skin lightening. The best thing with using natural products for skin lightening is the reduced risk of side effects.
What Is Skin Lightening?
Skin lightening is a procedure that involves restoring or even improving one’s skin tone. The process generally involves removing the appearance of blemishes, some of which include sunburnt skin, dark spots and patches, and birthmarks. Outlined below are some of the natural, yet effective skin lightening remedies with fast results.
Lemon and lemon juice are a rich source of vitamin C and citric acid. The two compounds come in handy in reversing the effects of sun damage and removing dark spots. Citric acid is an effective exfoliant capable of removing dead skin cells and acne, hence leaving you with a lighter-toned skin. Outlined below are some of the methods you can use lemon juice for skin lightening.
- Cut the fresh lemon into half, then extract its juice. Add half a tablespoon of distilled water to it. Using a cotton dab, apply the solution to your face and other affected areas, then leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse the contents off, then apply a good moisturizer. Do this daily until you have achieved the desired results.
- Mix one tablespoon of fresh lemon with two tablespoons of honey. Apply the mixture to your face or any other part. Honey will help keep the skin hydrated as well as exfoliation. Rinse thoroughly after a few minutes.
- Mix a tablespoonful of cucumber juice, lemon juice, and honey. These should help remove any toxic compounds within the surface of the skin, as well as treat skin irritation. This leaves you with smooth and soft skin.
Pro Tip: Lemon juice contains citric acid which may react with those with sensitive skin. Do a patch test first before using it on your skin. Apply the lemon juice or mixture in the evening before going to bed for the best results.
Papaya contains the magic skin-lightening enzyme, papain. Papain is a protein-dissolving enzyme capable of fighting acne infections, an exfoliator, skin softener, and moisturizer. It is considered very effective in skin lightening with amazingly fast results. The good thing with papaya is that it is safe to use on all skin types.
To use papaya for skin lightening:
- Make a smooth papaya pulp paste, then apply it to your skin. Leave the paste on for at least 20 minutes, then rinse it off with clean water. Repeat this every day.
- Mix papaya pulp one tablespoon with a ½ spoon of fresh lemon juice. Apply the paste on a cleansed face, leave it to rest for 20 minutes, then rinse it off. This helps absorb excess oil, exfoliate, and also leave you with a lighter skin tone.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with papaya pulp for deep hydration. Apply the paste on your face and skin, then leave it to rest for 20 minutes. Rinse the mask off with cold water. Do this every day.